Empowerment

Empowerment

Friday, March 20, 2015

Why I Picked THIS Woman to Highlight for the African Continent

Isn't it interesting how certain things can stick with us for all our lives and how other things simply seem to go in our brains, bounce around and then float out? Sometimes I feel like I have forgotten more things than I remember. Yet, there are some things that for some reason just stick with you forever.

Years ago I read a book that, as I remember it, went into quite great detail about South Africa, the Boer Revolution, etc. I have been sitting here for the last several minutes trying to figure out what the book was called. (I have read A LOT of books over the years.) After a little Google search I was able to "rediscover" it.  This book was, The Covenant by James A. Michener. How old I was when I read it, where I checked it out from, etc. I really couldn't tell you, but I can tell you that certain parts of that book have stuck with me for years.



As someone who took all the classes except one foreign language class to graduate with a degree in History, I have always figured I have a fairly decent grasp of history. I enjoyed it all throughout my elementary and secondary education. I obviously enjoyed it enough to study if for several years at a community college an university. Reading this book though, and looking back on it, has reminded me how very little I really know/have heard about throughout history. Almost everything in this book was new to me when I read it. Even the Boer Revolution was something that I had never even HEARD about it in school. After reading about it, I have always wondered how it is possible to have such a think like that not even be mentioned in class. That then makes me wonder how many things throughout history, and in the present, that we aren't aware of. A staggering amount, I am sure.

Anyways, this book has made the Boer Revolution a interest that has stayed in my brain, rattling around a bit, not getting a ton of attention, but still in there not willing to be forgotten. I think it is because of this that the woman I have picked to highlight for the African continent is someone who I found through searches about the Boer Revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment