Empowerment

Empowerment

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Defending a Daughter

I don't know how many of you have heard about the Tweet Curt Schilling shared about his daughter. I hadn't known the whole story until this morning when I saw his name trending on the side of Facebook. Remembering I had heard something yesterday morning on the radio about he and his daughter I clicked on it. I remember yesterday actually being kind of sickened by what the RADIO DJ's were talking about, and how they were referring to Schilling's daughter. They were joking about how they pictured Schilling's daughter to be kinda pudgy and unattractive. Hearing this I changed the station, and honestly I can't remember which station I was listening to. I know it was either KMLE 107.9 or KNIX 102.5, and honestly I've pretty much reached my limit with both stations, I don't think I will be listening to either anymore.

Anyways, back to the Curt Schilling story. She is graduating high school and was accepted into a college and will be playing softball for this school. He was excited for her and shared a Tweet congratulating his daughter on her hard work and accomplishment. The result and response to this Tweet? Well, frankly it wound up being horrifying. There were many replies to his tweet about the things young men, using the term men loosely as they were more pigs and cowards then anything, were going to do Gabby Schilling once she was at college.

Schilling then wrote a blog post about the whole experience. You can read it here. He tracked down several of these "kids" who posted these vulgar replies. One of the guys was suspended from his community college, another was fired from his job at his college. Schilling states that he wants these individuals to know that there are repercussions for their actions. He brought up some great posts in his blog about how many people in the current generation have lived behind a keyboard and screen their entire life, where they are able to say things that they wouldn't say in real life. This makes bullies stronger, braver, and in so many ways worse.

I love what he did in defense of his daughter, the way he responded to what happened to her. The only thing I wish was that his daughter had also stood up for herself, to show these young "men" the kind of WOMAN they were talking about, and that she was not going to put up with it. I do not know if she has said anything, or released anything, but for me personally, I feel like like it would have been great for her to also share that this was something that should not be tolerated. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment