Empowerment

Empowerment

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Trying to Find the Next Woman to Feature

I've been searching the past few days to find the woman I want to highlight for my next Real Women Have Power post. I have been looking for a woman either from the African continent or the South American continent. Honestly, it is actually kind of tough! My "criteria": a woman who was born and lived in the continent, I would prefer someone from the past/recent past, and someone who is not in the history books. (I know I didn't follow this for Annie Oakley, but she is one of my favorite historical figures, so I made an exception.) That isn't too much to ask for, is it? I have found a few individuals who I think would be great, but the trouble is there is next to no information about them.

It has really started to bother me that there is so little information out there about women in history. We study a select few women throughout history, but other than those individuals, there just isn't a lot out there. I have several women in United States history that I would like to feature in the future, they are a bit more well known than I would ideally like, but they are amazing individuals all the same.

My goal with this blog is to eventually, hopefully not too far in the distant future, start featuring women in my own life who I see as powerful individuals. I know some amazing women who, while they may not be famous, etc. are individuals who, in my mind, have power. They have overcome obstacles, fought their own personal battles, etc. After this my long term goal/dream is to have readers (I am hoping one day to have people who actually regularly READ this blog) nominate women in THEIR lives who they see as Real Women with Power. I would love to feature women from around the world who are living their life with power and, whether they think so or not, deserve to have their story shared with others. 

2 comments:

  1. Ryan says that one possibility for Africa is Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who was the president of Liberia. There is also Hilda Twongyeirwe, the current coordinator of FEMRITE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look into them! Thanks Marcelaine and Ryan!

      Delete